Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Hangin' Out with Grady Time

My first experience with my nephew were less than positive. It seemed as though I was going to be the uncle that he was going to just "put up" with. I was unable to be around when he first popped out and didn't get to see him until I surprised the family at Christmas time. He was not exactly thrilled with my being home. As most newborns are, Grady was fussy and irritable (especially when taken away from mom).

This continued when I returned to Romania. It didn't seem to matter how much the others reaffirmed me that he was an incredibly content little guy, I always had that sneaky suspicion he was harbouring a little resentment toward me. This continued when anytime I called home and Da and Josh were at the house Grady would wait until the moment I called to start crying. Countless conversations took place when I would simply hear the screaming in the background. Could this newest addition have a vendetta against me?

I have given Da a break from paying the babysitter a few times over the last couple weeks and I have to say that I've been pleasantly surprised. The first day watching the little guy started with a fussy morning and a very quiet afternoon (thanks in part to a two and a half hour nap). Day number two amazingly took place on the golf course. Dad, Josh, Grady and myself decided to have a guys day out on the links. Grady is nothing if not completely content when he's outside. After a quiet first three holes, Grady was ready for his bottle. We spent the fourth hole passing the kid between shots, making sure he is being fed. Grady was placed back in the stroller and slept through the last five holes. It was amazing. There was even a gentleman that came up to me to confirm that there was actually a baby on the course. Leading into the last time I watched him (just yesterday) and he was Mr. Sleepyhead. After sleeping two hours in the morning, he slept an additional two hours in the afternoon.

So, it can safely be assumed that my opinion of the little tyke is improving. I guess the fam can talk me into keeping him.

No comments: