Monday, May 31, 2010

Continuation

After a conversation with Laura, I decided that my last post was not as long as it should have been. I am missing a major piece of my hypothesis. There are basically two types of people people that are capable of loving others an people capable of loving themselves.

I tend to consider myself in the former of these two categories but I have known many people that are incapable of opening themselves to loving others. Selfish does not quite describe these people. The truth is there are many people that for whatever reason are takers as opposed to givers.

I love people. It's part of the reason I dedicated the last two years of my life serving others so that there may be greater growth in the mission field. It's also why I would have stayed in Korea if I was needed.

So, I have started trimming the fat of many of my friendships. I need people around me that are looking for more than what they can get out of me. Friendship is a two way street. While someone may be more invested than the other person, it does not give permission for the dominant person to walk all over the other person.

No comments: